Sweater Stocking



These stockings are a great way to decorate your home for Christmas. I got the idea while shopping for Christmas decorations last year. I was in one of my favorite stores (for those of you who know me, I’m sure you know which store I am talking about) and I saw these adorable sweater stockings for sale. I fell in love with them and was all set to buy them, but on my way to the register I noticed they were priced at $68 a piece! No thank you! I knew I could make these at home for a fraction of the cost…and that’s just what I did.

I’ve attached a pattern to make this even easier!

What You’ll Need:

2 Old Sweaters (a thrift store is a perfect place to find these)
Scissors
Measuring Tape
Marker
Either a Sewing Machine or a Needle and Thread
4” Piece of Yarn

1.     Decide which sweater will be Sweater A and which will be Sweater B. Sweater A will be the bulk of the stocking, while Sweater B will be the toe and cuff around the top. Copy and paste each of the pictures below into a document and scale them up until they are sized to liking. Be sure to scale them all up according to the same ratio so they still fit together properly. Print them and cut them out.




2.     Let’s start with Sweater A. Arrange Piece A over your sweater and trace with a marker. Cut out this piece. Next, turn Piece A over so that the “A” is on the opposite side. Arrange the piece over another part of your sweater and trace. Cut this piece out. You should now have two Piece A’s, both facing opposite directions.
3.     Onto Sweater B!  Arrange Piece B onto the sweater and trace. Cut out your piece. Do this twice.
4.     Repeat Step 2 using Sweater B and Piece C.  
5.     Onto the sewing! You can do this by hand or with a machine, whichever you prefer.
6.     Arrange both Piece A’s right side to right side. This is a fancy way of saying inside-out. Sew up along the two long sides. Turn your piece right side out. Set aside.
7.     Arrange both Piece B’s right side to right side and sew up along the angled sides. Your piece should now resemble a cuff. Then based on the line in the pattern, turn the piece right side out only half way so it resembles a folded cuff.
8.     Arrange Piece A within the fold of Piece B.  Sew around the cuff to secure Piece A to Piece B. Set aside
9.     Arrange both Piece C’s right side to right side. Sew along the curved edge. Turn right side out.
10. Arrange Piece A to fit inside Piece C. Sew along the edge of piece C to secure Piece A to Piece C.
11. Fold your piece of yarn in half. Sew the piece of yarn to one side of the stocking so it can hang from your mantel.

And that’s all there is to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment