Firstly, let me apologize for taking a bit of a break from the posting - getting a masters degree really gobbles up your time!
On with the cookies...
For me, drop cookies evoke so many memories. I remember sitting on the bright red countertop, watching my mother make her famous chocolate-chip cookies, eagerly waiting for her to turn around so I could snatch a secret "taste-test". Despite my attempt to stealthily run my finger along the edge of the bowl and quickly pop the dough into my mouth, she always knew what I was up to. And yet she would always pretend to take a little extra time gathering her ingredients or getting the spatula so I could try to sneak one more delicious dollop.
Drop cookies are homey and rustic, and they also make a wonderful holiday treat. These cookies are extremely easy to make and don't require a lot of time or effort - perfect for holiday parties, a tasty little treat with hot cocoa, or a secret midnight snack.
What You'll Need:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butterscotch sauce*
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
*Click the link for a delicious bourbon butterscotch recipe. If you're pressed for time, you can use store-bought butterscotch.
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter, sugar, and butterscotch together in a large bowl until fluffy.
- Add the salt, vanilla, and egg and continue to beat until mixture is light and fluffy, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Slowly add the flour and beat until just incorporated, do not over-mix.
- Add the almonds and with a wooden spoon or spatula, mix until the almonds are evenly incorporated.
- Using two spoons (one to scoop the dough and the other to easy it off the spoon onto the sheet), drop about a tablespoon of dough onto the prepared cookie sheet, leaving about 2" of space between each cookie.
- Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes until golden brown on the bottom. Transfer to a wire rack and enjoy while still warm!
Yield: about 20 cookies